Thursday, March 14, 2013

But... now that the child is dead (2 Samuel 12 21-23)


His advisers were amazed. “We don’t understand you,” they told him. “While the child was still living, you wept and refused to eat.
BUT…now that the child is dead,
you have stopped your mourning and are eating again.”
David replied,
“I fasted and wept while the child was alive, for I said,
"Perhaps the Lord will be gracious to me and let the child live.’
BUT…
 why should I fast when he is dead? Can I bring him back again?
I will go to him one day, BUT he cannot return to me.”
2 Samuel 12 21-23

I relate to this verse in so many ways. Watching your own child become sick to the point of death is agonizing. BUT once they have been transformed to their new life it is a time of rejoicing. My daughter entered the hospital on November 1, 2010. Within 2 days the Lord had placed upon my heart that she would not be coming home with us and that these would be her last days. I shared this insight with very few people and I am not sure whether they believed me or not. I am forever grateful for this insight as it allowed me the privilege to share secrets with her and even watch my favorite Disney movie with her. There are times now I wish I could go back to that place when I was so close to God. The Celebration of life service we had for our daughter was full of life. God continues to remind me that there is life after death for both the ones who have passed and those who must stay here. 

1 comment: